LFGA Board Meeting – Minutes – February 16, 2021 Board Members Present: Freda Bennett, Alan Cristello, Bill Fleckenstein, Nancy Sweet, Roni Clemenson, Al Keefer, George Files, Vince and Cindy Asaro, Lynne Festa
ELS Staff Present: Bill Chapman ELS Staff absent: Jerry Jaromin, Jim Eggers.
Freda called the meeting to order at 3:25
Secretary’s Report: Reading of the minutes was waived due to all receiving the report via email. The minutes were accepted.
Treasurer’s Report: Ending balance as of February 16, 2021 is $14,875.08. The report was accepted as read.
Maintenance: Bill Chapman responded to the following:1) We had requested the overhanging branches on holes #7 and #8 be trimmed. Bill Chapman had sent an email to Jeff Belle to have Joshua Tree trim them. This had not been done. So as a result, Bob Ciszewski / Davey has been doing it by hand. Bill will email Jeff Belle again to see if Joshua Tree will be completing the job.
2) The dead trees on Hole #10 were requested to be removed. The trees on Hole #10 were removed. Still waiting for the trees on Hole #16 to be removed.
3) We had requested that the sand traps be raked. They have been raked, but the raking is not being done on any set schedule. Can the rakes be returned to the traps? Bill Chapman wil have them replaced on February 17, 2021. Bill will also fill the ball washers and replace towels.
4) Spraying insecticide on the greens was questioned. Why isn’t this being done? The sand cranes are destroying the greens. Bill Chapman replied that he does not oversee Davey, Jeff Belle does. It was asked who notifies Jeff Belle to notify Davey that insecticide is needed? Jim Eggers should be notifying Jeff Belle.
5) Bill Chapman stated that he is the Golf Pro. He does not oversee Davey. Jim Eggers reports to Steve Bureau who reports directly to ELS.
6) Bill stated that if we have issues, we can email him and he will try to intercede with Steve Bureau.
7) The Board decided that we should invite Steve Bureau to a Board Meeting to speak with him directly.
8) It was asked if the green sand on the cart path side of Hole #12 could be replaced with sod. Bill Chapman will check if there is any extra sod at the maintenance barn. If so perhaps it can be used.
9) The Xonerate that was used to kill the weeds on Hole #2 has worked. The weeds are 90% gone and it has not affected the paspalum grass. Steve Bureau has spoken with Bill Chapman. Starting at the beginning of April, they will be spraying Xonerate on all greens.
10)t was asked if Davey could mow on the days before the Club Championship and Interclub
.11) Bill Chapman was asked if it was necessary to sign up for lessons at Pine Lakes only. There are no sign up sheets at Lake Fairways. Bill responded that anyone interested in lessons could call or email him of they were interested.
12) Bill was asked to re-mark the drop zones before Club Championship and Interclub. Bill will have them re-marked.
13) Bill was asked what happens if Golf Net decides to stop supporting any course that is less than 3,000 yards. Bill responded that Golf Net is not the only system that can support our course length. We asked if we could move the Blue markers out to justify meeting the 3,000 yard regulation. The reply from Bill is that Golf Net will not support our handicap system from the Blue tees but only the red and white markers. USGA will only support the handicap system from the Blue tee markers and not support the Red or White tee markers.
14) It was asked why it is taking so long for Davey to cut the roots along the cart path on Hole #4 tee box and sod the area. It has been asked for the past few years and it still has not been done.
15) Joshua Tree has cut the roots on Hole #17 but has dropped the ball on doing the same on Hole #18. Why do we keep asking and not getting the promised results?16) Bill Chapman has put treads on the steps of Hole #13. Unfortunately, the dampness from the concrete steps has already loosened the treads. Bill will try again if this fails he will apply paint with sand mixed in.
Membership: As of February 16, 2021 we have 128 member. 82 men and 46 ladies.
Vice Presidents Report: The Alan Stinson Tournament was well attended. Marcia Stinson was pleased with the support that was shown for Alan.
The Club Championship and Interclub: It has been decided that all members and workers would receive a $20.00 gift certificate for the Sand Trap. It can be used at any time. The members will need to pick up their certificate from Joan Cristello on the day of either event. She will be located at the scoreboard on the 18th hole. Lake Fairways will have beer, water and soda on the course at Holes #5 and #13 for players and workers. During the Interclub, Pine Lakes will have concessions on their course, but at this time we are not sure how they are going to manage them. On the days of events here at Lake Fairways we have asked the Sand Trap to remain open until 4pm. We will not have tables and tents on the 18th hole. There will be large score cards on each cart. They will be handed out to the scorers at the Volunteers’ meeting. We will have radios on Holes # 5, #13 and #17.Alan will be posting a sign-up sheet for volunteer The Inter Club meeting will be at Pine Lakes on March 11, 2021. Because of Covid, spouses will not be invited to this meeting. We will not have programs this season. Practice rounds will be scheduled by Bill Chapman. They will be posted .If you have a caddy from your household they can ride in your cart. Otherwise all caddies will ride in their own cart .In order to maintain 6’ social distancing at the winners circle at Hole #18, the announcer will remind all followers to observe the mandate
.Rules: Al Keefer had no new updates. Al will review the rules at the Players meeting at Pine Lakes.
Couple at Large: Cindy and Vince Asaro will be purchasing the beverages for the tournaments
.Ladies 18 Hole League: Nancy Sweet reported that all is going well.
Nine Hole League: Roni Clemenson reported that they now have 12 members. Karla Holt and Roni will be the players for the Nine Holers during the Inter Club.
The LFGA General Meeting will be held March 19, 2021. There will be a 75 person maximum. We will have a 50/50 drawing with the proceeds going to support the Tee Box Beautification project. A donation will also be placed in the Sand Trap for the Tee Box Beautification project.
New Business: A nomination committee, consisting of one Board Member and 2 LFGA members will be seeking one open Board position – Vice- President. The meeting adjourned at 4:36.Respectfully submitted, Lynne Festa